Twitter

Sunday, 10 March 2013

Viral Videos: Why Companies should use them

Gangnam Style, Harlem Shake, Kony and Screaming Goats.....

These are all words that should really never enter our minds, but have become so known worldwide that we end up spending hours upon hours watching videos about them, and we can't get enough!

As much as I like to think  every hour of my day is spent doing something productive, it just isn't true at all, and I would bet most people would be the same. Videos are as easy to come by as they have ever been. Everybody has those days where they just spend hours on YouTube


I had a class last week where the lecturer showed us a series of Ikea adverts, some of which went viral a few years ago. With the recent explosion of people trying to be the next big YouTube sensation, I think businesses, brands and firms should really look into hiring some of these creative minds. The man above, Andrew Hales has over 60 million views on his channel. He has found a great recipe for viral videos, catching awkward social situations on camera and if people were smart they should hire him asap.

As social beings, we respond very well to funny or interesting viral videos, we feel the urge to share them with our friends, as watching a video of a dog talking is a lot more fun when your with people rather than being alone! We enjoy being included and laughing together. Last night while two of my good friends were over for drinks, I showed them M&Ms Superbowl advert and we ended up trading each others favourite virals for a long time. What I noticed however was the M&M one was the only corporate made video, the rest were normal users using their digital cameras.

I've said it many times before, but I love how the internet has changed how we communicate forever. One of the new trends is that we go onto sites such as Twitter, YouTube, Gawker and StumbleUpon to get the news. Most of our generation has a laptop within reach when they wake up in the morning, they can know what is going on in the world before they've even had breakfast! If a company managed to create an incredibly fun and viral video they could have their product being shown in every home in the world, without having to pay for the more traditional (and expensive) mediums of marketing/advertising.

I know these big firms have noticed these trends, and they are trying to reach these new segments but they have only reached the tip of the iceberg. Obama's 08 Presidential campaign was probably the first time someone used these videos to make such a big influence in the world, but I'm sure people will start catching onto these ideas and using them for their benefit. I will leave you with one of my other all-time favourites!



No comments:

Post a Comment