Twitter

Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Coding: Why everybody should learn


So this post is sort of following on from my other one about what we're learning in college, or more specifically what we're not. Here's the video that inspired me to make this post, it's definitely worth the watch!



After watching this I suddenly began to wish that I had chosen Computer Science instead of Commerce International, but hey, there's nothing I can do about it now.
This is probably the one time I will ever admit my brother was right (he studied computer science and landed a great job right out of college). This video probably does glamorize computer science a lot, but you can't argue with it's facts. With so many companies looking for top computer engineers you could do a lot worse than to choose this career path.

When my brother was telling me to consider going into this field, I had no prior knowledge to it, and frankly thought it would be very boring and geared towards the more 'studious' type of people. Judging from this video....I wasn't wrong. However anyone who says they wouldn't want to work in an office that you uses segways to get around and has live bands playing randomly is definitely lying. All them added perks did entice me and get my interest, but what made me really intrigued was the idea of creating something out of nothing. If you work hard enough and learn enough about the theory, you can literally create anything you want on the internet, all from the comfort of your bed. You don't need investments or start-up capital, just a good idea and the right knowledge to bring it to life.

One topic the mentioned was that there would be hundreds of thousands of jobs unfilled worldwide simply because there aren't enough graduates to fill them. I'm in my third year of college and only now am I considering it a great idea to learn the basics of coding. With today's business trends this is something secondary schools should be encouraging! I think it's only a matter of time really, there are some schools I know around Ireland who are introducing iPads to children, because they actually see how the world is these days. I know that a lot of people will argue that we should stick to tradition, but honestly, how handy is knowing Latin going to be when you have a great Website idea?

Not only will knowing how to code give you more job opportunities, it will help small businesses and entrepreneurs reduce costs as they won't have to pay someone else to do the job. There really is no limit to what you can do if you know how to code, but I guess turning an idea you had in your college dorm into a multi billion dollar company used everyday by hundreds of millionaires is something to aim for.

No comments:

Post a Comment